The number #1 recommendation from professionals is to read food labels before feeding anything to your pet.

Do you have sugar-free gum, candies, or powdered peanut butter in your pantry?

A sugar substitute called xylitol(also called birch sugar)is common in most of these items. Xylitol can be poisonous to cats and dogs.

There has been a massive spike in the number of xylitol poisonings. It’s risen to 2nd place behind chocolate on the list of most toxic substances to dogs.

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning:

-Vomiting

-Weakness or stumbling when walking

-Seizures can occur in the most severe cases

If you suspect your pet has eaten xylitol:

-Bringinyourpetandthe food packaging as soon as possible.

-If you can’t get here or it’s after hours, call us(we have an after-hours hotline)or call the ASPCA animal poison control at(888) 426-4435.

What to expect when you reach our hospital:

-Testing your cat or dog’s blood sugar level

-Monitoring your pet through bloodwork

-Supportive care includes IV fluids and inducing vomiting if necessary

-Monitoring vital signs

 Please do NOT induce vomiting at home.

Our pets rely on us to keep them safe and healthy. Dogs jump, and cats climb. Keep poisonous human foods locked away from your pet’s reach.

We’re here for you 24/7. If you suspect your pet isn’t looking right, please call us!